Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Video Games

I own a LOT of games, most of them have been rendered unusable because of the lack of DOS on my computer. Yeah, I am aware of DOS emulators, just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Anyway, I borrowed "The battle for Middle Earth" from my brother. The graphics are nice but its nothing totally new. Same rock-paper-sissors approach to combat. Pikes have bonuses against cavalry, Infantry against Archers, and Archers against Pikes and so on, so forth.

I do like the idea of the heros. You can level them up to get bonus powers for them. Gandalf gets wizard crap. Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir all get fighter type crap. Legolas gets archer crap. Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden all get Calvary stuff, for the most part. The hobbits get... a rock. Oh, and Elven cloaks. Don't remember much for them, they are support troops at best, they spent most of the battle for Rivendell either A: getting treasure chests or B: sitting by the back door, in case I lost the battle (didn't happen).

Cavalry if funny because they charge units and send the front and sometimes second ranks flying, to land by the last rank of a unit. That and I have fun sending wargs to go eat the peasants.

A word on resources, the Evil side uses wood and the good side uses farms. At least the orcs getting wood can fight if they have to. The farm can produce peasants. Who suck until you buy the draft power. Then they still suck, just not as bad.


I bought Civ IV last week, if you play Civ, the only major changes are to units and combat. Inviolate borders are a nice addition. The AI CANNOT cross into your territory and if they plop down a city they cant grab the surrounding squares like they could with III. Other than that, its Civilization, nothing really new. Except that someone finally told Sid Meiers that global worming is probably dreamed up by money hungry scientists. Global worming only happens after someone nukes somebody. Contrary to popular opinion, I have NOT done that... yet.

Ok, enough writing, gonna go back to playing middle earth or take a nap. One of them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

...I was trying to avoid actually PLAYING Civ IV after I bought it, because there are some people who actually want to see me every now and then...

DOSBox is free, and really small, which means it is easy to download. Get it, you lazy brute.

Once you have it, get Master of Magic, and kiss any life you have good-bye.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Deathknyte said...

Yeah yeah, I have been to busy playing "The battle for Middle Earth". That and homework.


What is life, and where can I get one?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Orcs getting wood, huh? That can't be pretty.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Nukes were supposed to cause a Nuclear Winter...

4:11 PM  
Blogger Deathknyte said...

They used to way back in Civ II. Or maybe that was Sim Earth. It was a long time ago.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home